This is important, so are you listening? Good.
LIGHTS ARE ESSENTIAL: There’s a reason that bike lights are the law – not all roads have streetlights. Such is the case with a stretch of road that parallels the Bay Trail we’ll be on for a couple of miles tonight. Ideally, you want to be able to see what’s in front of you, but at an absolute minimum, you want approaching cars to be able to see you. That means a light in front and in back. Even if it means taping a flashlight to your handlebars or putting some simple blinking light on the back of your bike, it’s better than nothing. Safety first.
STAY RIGHT & RIDE PREDICTABLY: Tonight’s route will have us on one two-lane one-way street and a decent stretch of one-lane one-way road as we ride near the UC Berkeley campus. On the two-lane road, it’s important to leave one lane for cars. We don’t want to shut down that road. On the one-lane road it’s important to ride predictably (i.e. in a straight line and calling out ‘on your left’ or ‘on your right’ if you’re passing). One-lane roads can mean slower going, so sudden turns or stopping in the middle of the pack can cause major accidents.
VOLUNTEER: We can always use help guiding the ride through turns. If you get to the ride early (i.e. before 7:50pm) look for the Volunteer Coordinator and say you want to guide people through the turn.
BRING LAYERS: We’ll be out by the water for about half the night, so make sure you’ve got layers to add on as it gets colder and breezy.
BRING A LOCK: If you want it to be a party stop and not a stand-by-your-bike-to-keep-it-safe stop, this explains itself.
TURN-BY-TURNS: Are below.
Let’s be safe and have fun. And remember not to write on anyone without making sure that they want to be written on. Except for the guy coming as the Human Body Cast. He’s just asking for it.
SHARPIE RIDE TURN-BY-TURNS:
Start at Rockridge BART
- Make a right onto Forest
- Right onto Claremont
- Left onto College
- Right on Dwight
- Left on Piedmont
- Continue on Gayley
- Left on Ridge
- Right On Euclid
- Left on Virginina
- Continue on Virginia via Arch
- Right on Spruce
- Make a left onto Cedar
- Merge onto Hopkins, which then rejoins Cedar after San Pablo
- Make a left onto 4th St
- Make a right onto Addison
- Make a right onto Bolivar (go onto the sidewalk), which turns into the Bay Trail
- Go up and over the pedestrian bridge
- Make a left onto Frontage St
- Make a left on University
- Make a right onto Marina Blvd
- Make a left onto Spinnaker Way
First party stop: Cesar Chavez Park
- Exit back onto Spinnaker
- Right onto Marina
- Left onto University
- Make a right on Frontage (parallels the Bay Trail to Emeryville)
- Make a right on Access Road (the road’s name is actually “Access Road”)
- Access terminates in a roundabout: make a left at the roundabout
- Make a left onto Powell
- Make a right onto Shellmound
- Make a right onto Horton
- Make a right onto Mandela Pkwy
Second party stop: West Grand and Mandela
- Make a left onto West Grand
- Ride to Lake Merritt
Third party stop: Lakeside Park